October TBR 2020 | Gothtober, Victober and more

I love making ambitious TBRs. If only I could finish them!

Despite only participating in 2 readathons this month, I am planning to try to read 24+ books in October. This averages out to about 6 books a week. I'm actually hoping to try to make 4 books a week a regular goal for me so this should be a fun month.

Kindle Clear Out

The first thing I need to finish up in October is the Kindle Clear Out Readathon. I have six books on that TBR to finish up by Sunday, October 4th. I am also trying to vlog during this. I really want to get better at vlogging and making booktube videos.

Gothtober

The Gothtober readathon is happening this month as well. It is a month long readathon but there are a ton of prompts. If you know me, then you know I don't like to double up on prompts so I found books to fit each prompt as best as I could.

Honestly, I fell in love with the beautiful graphics for this readathon and the hosts said that you don't have to stick to a specific genre. This suits me perfectly since I mostly read romances. I did try to throw in some spookier thrillers and mysteries though.

I'm also really happy that I managed to make this TBR half books in English and half books in Spanish. I'm currently trying to teach myself Spanish and I've even started a Spanish version of this blog so that I can practice writing more often.

Anyway, since this blog is in English, I'll just go over the books in English that I plan to read for Gothtober.

The Last Necromancer

Look at that cover! I just love that skull as the lantern. Where can I get one of those? I believe this is a paranormal romance which is not the genre that I normally read. However, I am excited to branch out into paranormal romances during these spooky times. It's also a historical!

Captivated

This book has appeared on my TBR multiple times this year. If I don't read it now I'll probably never read it. It's an LGBT paranormal romance featuring dragons, an Asian main character and an M/M romance.

Engagement of Convenience

I'm not sure if this is going to fit the disability prompt or not. Judging by the summary on the back of the book, it may work. It sounds like it should work since the hero in this story is described as "wounded" but I'll have to read it to see. Regardless, it is a short historical romance so I can always find another book later in the month if I need to.

The Year of the Witching

Honestly, I mainly want to read this because of the cover. This is also one of the group reads for Fortnight Frights happening October 18 - October 31st. One of the other group reads is The Only Good Indians. I'm not sure if I'm also going to try to participate in that readathon or not. if I do, I'm probably going to find a way to overlap those prompts with my Gothtober TBR.

The Only Good Indians

Oh man, I've been excited for this one ever since I heard about it. It sounds like the perfect October read. All I know is that this is a horror story about a group of Native Americans who have to deal with something dark from their youth. Honestly, I want to go into this one without knowing a lot.

The Goldfinch

My boyfriend brought me this book last year because he thought I would like it. Don't ask me why. He also wanted me to read something other than romance novels, haha. Since this fits the dark academia prompt, I'm finally going to start reading this book... hopefully.



Victober

October is also known for the Victober readathon. I had planned to participate last year but I never did. This year I had set myself a goal to read 12 classics by the end of the year. So far I've read four and I started Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Hopefully I can get through four books for Victober so I can get closer to my goal!

The prompts for this year's readathon are pretty interesting too. The month long readathon is hosted by lucytheread, Books and Things, and Kate Howe. Here are the prompts and the books I plan to read for each one.

  1. Katie’s challenge: Read a Victorian book that equates to your favourite modern genre
  2. Lucy’s challenge: Read a Victorian diary or collection of letters
  3. Kate’s challenge: Read a new to you book and/or short story by a favourite Victorian author
  4. Readers’ challenge: Read a Victorian book from a previous Victober TBR that you didn't get to, or one you’ve been meaning to read for ages
  5. General challenge: Read a Victorian book while wearing something Victorian/Victorian-esque
  6. Group readalong: Shirley by Charlotte Brontë

My favorite modern genre is, of course, romance. So for this prompt I want to read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I've watched the mini series already and loved it so I'm excited for the book. Then, after I read the book I can watch the mini series again!

I don't have a collection of Victorian letters or diaries so I'm still not sure what I can read for this prompt.

For Kate's challenge I decided to go with a short story by a favorite Victorian author. I can't say I have a favorite Victorian author yet but earlier this year I read Romola by George Eliot and absolutely loved it. For that reason, I am going to read Silas Marner by the same author.

I've had Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles on my wishlist for a while. I brought a copy of this book when Barnes and Noble was having their sale on classics last year before covid hit. So, I am going to try to get through that book this month.

And then there is the group read. Honestly, I'm a little hesitate to pick this one up. Ever since I had to read Jane Eyre in high school, I've been hesitant to give the Brontë sisters a try. I actually want to try reading Jane Eyre again eventually. I'm wondering if it was the book for the family issues I was dealing with during that year that made me dislike the book. Anyway, I'm going to go into this group read choice with an open mind and see what happens.



#KeepingUpWithTheKauls

Shut Up Shealea is hosting a group read along for the Green Bone saga by Fonda Lee. There's even a discord group and a really cool hashtag to use. Please go check out the blog for all of the details.

While Jade City and Jade War are not books I typically read, the story sounds so intriguing and I keep hearing antastic things about both books. I think I also managed to pick up the ebook of jade City when it was on sale. So, since I have the book and saw this read along happening, I've decided to join in.

Sapphic Books

I want to continue to prioritize sapphic books going forward. I'm considering starting a seperate blog that would involve more sapphic things and not just books. Anyway, I started two sapphic books last month that I would like to try to finish this month. They hare Hold Me by Hildred Billings and By Any Other Name by Natasha West.

Other Books

Honestly, that's probably more than enough books for one month but I also have a couple of books that I started but did not finish in October. Those books include Ana, la de Tejas Verdes, and Sinfonia del Mar. I also started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson but that's a chunker of a book so I'm ok if that takes longer to read. Previously this year I also started two Italian books: Un Trono per due Sorelle and Il Leone di Roma. I would like to make some progress in these books if possible.

Ok, that is more than enough for October. I most likely will not read all of these books and I'm ok with that. I always get ambitious with my plans but who cares as long as I'm having fun.

Since this is a romance blog, expect to see reviews for the romance books mentioned in this TBR post.

Comments