Space Opera September 2020 TBR

Space operas are not really my thing. I mostly read romance novels and when I branch out, I tend to stick to historical fiction or nonfiction. Ocassionally I'll throw in a classic (I do need to read more classics too). Space is on the complete opposite side of what I read.

But September is SciFi September and it's when the Space Opera September reading challenge happens. So, let's read some Science Fiction in space!

Ok, so this isn't romance but stay tuned until the end to see the scifi smut books I plan to also read this month.

The Space Opera September challenges are as follows:

1. Read a space opera novella
2a. Read two space operas written by women 
and/or: 2b. Read a space opera by a diverse author featuring diverse characters 
3. Read a space opera published before you were born 
4. Read a space opera 500 pages or longer 


I have a few books picked out for the challenges. For a book that is over 500 pages, I am going to once again try to read  Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium by Sandy Mitchell. It's actually the first three books in one but since it's all in one book, and it counts as one book on goodreads, I'm going with this for my challenge number four book.

I decided to take the 2A path and read two books by women. These two books have been on my wish list since last year and I've heard good things about them. They are: A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine and Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I'm really excited to get to A Memory Called Empire, and Gideon the Ninth is a sapphic book. Both of these books are available on Scribd.

If you're interested in checking out Scribd for yourself, you can get 60 days free by signing up through my link! I also get 30 days free for everyone who signs up using that link. Or you can try it out for 30 days without the link.

I'm also convincing my boyfriend to read with me. He said he would re-read Ciaphas Cain and he'll give A Memory Called Empire a try after I read it. Reading is so much more fun when you have someone to read along with.

For a novella, I decided on the audiobook version of Killing Gravity by Corey J. White. The audiobook is only 3 hours long. And for a book published before I was born, I am finally going to finish Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe. My boyfriend has the version that has both books one and book two in one book. Both book one and book two were published before I was born so I'm counting this. My boyfriend also said it counts as a space opera book. I couldn't really tell so we'll see.



Last year around this time I also tried to read some SciFi romances - or SciFi Smut as I like to call it - and I want to continue that trend this year. I pretty much disliked all of the SciFi Smut that I read last year with the exception of the BDSM story His Human Slave (Zandian Masters Book 1). That was a surprise. Nevertheless, let's read some more space smut!

I have three ebooks still on my kindle from last year when I just downloaded a bunch of scifi romance. So, this month I'm hoping to read Bond by Tasha Black, Bren's Blessing by Pearl Tate and Mastered By Her Mates by Grace Goodwin.



Comments