Lesbian Visibility Day & #VisibleLesbianBooks I Plan to Read

 April 26th is Lesbian Visibility Day And Theresa at Library of Sappho is encouraging readers to share books featuring lesbian characters on this day. As a bisexual woman who is trying to read more sapphic books, I love this idea!

Books with Lesbian Characters that I Want to Read.

Crier's War by Nina Varela

I know that Crier's War is a sapphic fantasy novel and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that at least one character is a lesbian. There's a f/f relationship too. I also have this book on my TBR for mythothon round four so I want to read it for Lesbian Visibility Day. At the very least, I want to start reading this book because it is over 400 pages. I don't know if I can finish it in one day and still enjoy reading it.

Written in the Stars by Alexandria Bellefleur

I've already started listening to this book on Scribd. This is a contemporary romance featuring a sapphic romance between a lesbian character and a bisexual character. It's a bit more on the cute side so I'm hoping it reads like a nice palette cleanser for me. I'm also trying to read this book for mythothon round 4.

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Guess why this book is on my TBR? Is it because it's the group book for mythothon this month? Yes, it is!

This is a YA fantasy book featuring a Black main character. From what I've heard there is a lesbian character in the story as well. I honestly do not known much about this book and sometimes I like to go into a book without knowing much of anything. Legendborn is also available on Scribd and the audiobook is 18 hours long. Wish me luck!



Books with Lesbian Characters that I Love

The Parting Glass by Gina Marie Guadagnino

The story is told from the point of view of a young Irish woman working in the United States (in New York to be specific) as a lady's maid. She buts on an English accent and does not go by her Irish name in order to avoid any trouble or discrimination. She is also in love with her lady. And so is her brother. And her lady is in love with Mary's brother but she cannot be with him because they come from different worlds. Sounds like a messy love triangle, no?

There's more to the story of course. We see Mary's brother start to get involved with an independence group because, unlike her, he cannot shake off his accent. Mary begins a relationship with a sex worker and so on.

The only warning I will give with this book is that the main character, Mary, looks down on sex work and sex workers at the beginning of the book. She does grow and come to change her views on sex work and sex workers as the book progresses but her negative feelings are presented near the beginning of the book.

I listened to this on audiobook on Scribd and absolutely loved the narration. I recommend giving this book a try if you like historical fiction and want something sapphic/lesbian on your bookshelf.

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite

This is a historical romance. Technically, one of the love interests, Catherine St Day, is a widow who was married to a man. However, I think it's implied that their marriage was not a marriage of love. When Lucy moves into her home in order to work on a translation of a French astronomy text, the younger woman awakes feelings inside of Catherine. This book gets labeled as a lesbian romance and Olivia Waite does write lesbian historical romances.

I'm pretty sure Lucy is defiantly a lesbian though.

This was such a great historical romance to read. I wrote a longer review at my romance book blog.

A Lady's Desire by Lily Maxton

I might have to reread this one because I don't remember much of the details but I do remember enjoying it.

It's a friends turned enemies turned lovers kind of romance. Sarah and Winifred were best friends until Winifred (Win) married Sarah's cousin and moved to London. Sarah has never been interested in men or marriage. Now that Win is a widow, the two women start to discover feelings for each other.

There's also a science theme to this book. Just like how The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics had a science subplot, A Lady's Desire shows Sarah and Win being a part of a lady's group for science. Is this a theme in historical sapphic romances? No complaints here. I love to see women being intelligent in historical romances.

Love Betrayed by Ellie Spark

This is a contemporary lesbian romance. It also features a love interest who is also an artist and I cannot resist a book featuring art or an artist. This book was a little predictable but I still really enjoyed it. The book is less than 200 pages so it's a nice pallet cleanser in my opinion.

The author has a whole series of lesbian contemporary romances so it is worth checking out their books. All of her books are also avaliable on kindle unlimited.

Books with Lesbian Characters that I Want to Buy

I'm trying not to buy books but I just happen to find deals online or I just wander into a used book store. How can I turn down a book for $2.99? Here are a couple of books that are on my radar that I plan to buy in the future.

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri

This book comes out June 8th. It is an Indian inspired fantasy featuring a f/f relationship. I've seen it described as a lesbian fantasy as well but I know it is at least sapphic. And the author is Punjabi so that's cool!

Fireheart Tiger by Aliette de Bodard

This novella was released recently back in Feburary. It is a lesbian fantasy novella inspired by Vietnamese history and culture. Thanh was sent away from the imperial court to Ephteria as a child. Now she's back at the court and serving as a diplomat but she can't escape the memories of her first love, Eldris, and time in Ephteria.

Not only is this a Vietnamese inspired fantasy setting, but the author is of French and Vietnamese descent as well.

Comments