Lost in Paradise Review


I have gotten much better at just DNF'ing books that I do not enjoy either because I personally find them boring or the story just upsets me for some reason. I'm not usually the type of person who enjoys hate reading and I can recognize that in most cases I may not be enjoying a book but someone else may like it.

The only time when I want to continue to read a book I'm not enjoying is if I'm already far along in the book and/or I want to count it towards a readathon. That was the case with Lost in Paradise by Rachel Lacey.

I made it to the 47% mark in the book when I debated whether or not I should DNF this book. At one point I was going to DNF it but then I decided to push through it so that I could count it on both of the Sapphic September bingo boards. I want a bingo, damnit!

I expected something silly and light hearted just based on the summary of Lost in Paradise. Two women meet up on a cruise ship, but then pirates board the ship and take everyone hostage and so the two women decided to take a life boat and escape. They get stranded on a deserted island and have to rely on each other to survive until they are rescued.

This sapphic novella just fell apart in more than one way that I just ended up annoyed at the two characters.

Let's talk about the island fantasy first. I understand that it's a fantasy for two strangers to have hot passionate sex after finding themselves stranded on a desert island together. There's the fear that they might not be rescued leading them to seek comfort in each other's arms. There's the tension from having to work together just to survive. Unfortunately, this book did not build up that tension or fear.

These two adult women found themselves in the middle of no where on an island with no idea if they will be saved or how long it would take for someone to find them. The second they reach the beach, they decide to make love. Not only that but Nicole, who recently got a divorce from her husband and never had a relationship of any kind with a woman before, is apparently an expert lover. It's the best sex Fiona has ever had!

There was just no build up of tension between the two women. Back on the cruise ship, they meet for the first time right before the ship is hijacked by pirates and their meeting is highly sexual. Even so, I didn't expect the smut scene right when they got to the beach.

But, this is a fantasy and a short erotic romance so this isn't that big of a deal. I knew this was going to be smuty going into the story. The romance does start to develop more after the two women are rescued.

I feel like this book is bad bi or pan representation and that's what really put me off. At about the 39% mark, Fiona and Nicole start talking about being with men vs women. Both women are attracted to men and women. However, this conversation made me feel a little uneasy when Fiona said "And I do... fuck men, that is. But if I had my preference, it would only be women."

What's wrong with being bisexual or pansexual? Why can't Nicole just like men and woman? No one is forcing her to have sex with men. She talked about enjoying sex with men prior to this conversation. Then Nicole tells her "But it is your preference [...]" and I just don't understand why the author has to downplay their bisexuality or pansexuality.

(It's not clear if the women are bisexual or pansexual.)

I don't like the word "preference" because it feels like Nicole is telling Fiona she can choose to only be with women and that shows a lack of respect.

I'm putting way too much thought into a smuty novella, aren't I?

The second half of the book does get better but I honestly was skim reading it at that point so I'm not going to talk about it. Not even the art in the second half could save this book for me.

Lost in Paradise is available on Kindle Unlimited if you want to give it a try. it got a lot of positive reviews on goodreads but, unfortunately, I just did not enjoy this book.

Comments